You can’t beat this time in Ottawa! We rush to whatever patio opens first, or you may catch us sitting in parks or walking along the street, face up to the sunlight, with a huge smile on. No wonder Canada is considered such a happy place!
Celebrate “A World of Tulips” at the 2018 edition of the multi-award-winning Canadian Tulip Festival.
Uniquely Canadian and one of the largest events of its kind in the world!
And just in time for the Tulip Festival, Ottawa Boat Cruises begin their famous cruises down the Rideau Canal and the Ottawa River. Book early to get onboard!!
We love our bikes here in Ottawa and have more trails than you can imagine. Explore our page HERE devoted just to Cycling in and around the Capital!!
Gatineau Park has officially opened it’s trails an beaches for the spring ans summer season! The snow has disappeared and the sun is making it’s way through the trees, warming up all of the hiking paths. The trails continue to be a wonderful spectacle as the weather increases, with beautiful lakes and scenic routes.
Parc Omega offers many different options for families, animal lovers, and those who want to be outside all year round! They offer car tours as well as walking tours which allow you to get into nature and see a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
Visit the Arboretum, located on Ottawa’s experimental farm which is home to Canada’s Agriculture and Food museum! Come walk through the park and enjoy the blooming flowers and the warm spring air this season.
Yoga on Parliament Hill is back for the spring and summer! Join Lululemon as they present renowned yoga instructors every Wednesday at noon! Just bring your own mat and water, all levels of yogis are welcome for free yoga on the hill! Starting on May 9th, 2018
Get on the water at Dow’s Lake. Since the beginning of May, canoe, kayaks and paddle boats are now available for rental until the end of the summer.
Camp Fortune is known to Ottawa as ski resort during the winter. However, starting in the spring those giant hills get a makeover and are turned into zip lines and high ropes courses! Leave your skis at home and bring your sneakers for an aerial adventure.
Just on the doorstep of the Lord Elgin Hotel is the Ottawa Marathon (Race Weekend) on May 25th to 28th, which has become one of the largest marathon events in North America, is a weekend dedicated to road running events, there are multiple different events to suite many different running abilities. From 2k to over 40k the event welcomes all to participate or support runners. The Lord Elgin Hotel makes it so easy to just get up out of bed, stretch and jump right into the start line!!
May in Ottawa continues with great activities happening all around the city, including the massive Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- The Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend takes over the city streets this year with thousands of participants running in 5K and 10K races, a half marathon, and the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon, Canada’s largest. This year’s race weekend is Saturday, May 26 and Sunday May 27 – expect road closures on both days in the downtown area. Don’t miss the Scotiabank Charity Challenge Sparks Street Party on Thursday, May 24, the Celebration Stage at Ottawa City Hall, and the Kichesippi Beer Garden!
- On Friday, May 25, cheer on the Ottawa Fury FC as they play the Bethlehem Steel FC! Friday is also Pop Culture Night for Fury – celebrate the new Star Wars movie by dressing up like your favourite character.
- Check out this month’s Nature Nocturne event at the Canadian Museum of Nature! Check out their brand new exhibition Brain: The Inside Story at the after-hours event with the theme Body and Mind on Friday, May 25.
- Celebrate the hip Wellington West neighbourhood at their week-long festival, kicking off this Friday, May 25! Check out fun activities put on by local vendors and community associations throughout the week, like pet caricatures, a 24hr Jazz ramble, a human library, and much more. Be sure to check out the Brewery Market on Saturday, May 26 for local craft beer! Admission is FREE!
- The Glebe neighbourhood is a great place to visit this weekend with both the Great Glebe Garage Sale and the Great Glebe Sidewalk Sale happening this Saturday, May 26! Arrive early to shop for deals at the huge, community garage sale event in the residential area, or venture onto Bank Street for deals from area businesses. Admission is FREE!
- Have the time of your life at TD Place this Saturday, May 26 at an on-stage presentation of Dirty Dancing – The Classic Story.
- Check out the Odawa Pow Wow this Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27 at the Maple Hill Urban Farm for dancing, singing, and more traditional celebrations!
- Head to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum this weekend to check out their latest Music at the Museum installment: Centralaires Concert Band — Music to Remember. See the performance on Sunday, May 27 and be sure to check out all the fun activities at the museum!
- Celebrate Ottawa’s CFL team, the Ottawa REDBLACKS, at the First Annual Fan Fest at Lansdowne this Sunday, May 27! With the team in training camp, get excited for the season ahead with football drills, player meet-and-greets, games, and fun activities. Admission is FREE!
- Get your sweat on Sundays throughout the summer on Parliament Hill with Zumba On the Hill! FREE!