We in Eastern Canada go a bit crazy in spring. After months of cold, snow and a shortage of sunlight, there is this pent up craving for sunshine, warmth and more hours of daylight. By now most of us come down with a terrible case of Spring Fever. All you need is one of those sunny days – nearing 15 degrees C and the patios at all the bars and restaurants rush to get the tables out.
You can’t beat this time in Ottawa! We rush to whatever patio opens first, or you may catch us sitting in parks or walking along the street, face up to the sunlight, with a huge smile on. No wonder Canada is considered such a happy place!
Celebrate “A World of Tulips” at the 2018 edition of the multi-award-winning Canadian Tulip Festival.
Uniquely Canadian and one of the largest events of its kind in the world!
And just in time for the Tulip Festival, Ottawa Boat Cruises begin their famous cruises down the Rideau Canal and the Ottawa River. Book early to get onboard!!
We love our bikes here in Ottawa and have more trails than you can imagine. Explore our page HERE devoted just to Cycling in and around the Capital!!
Gatineau Park has officially opened it’s trails an beaches for the spring ans summer season! The snow has disappeared and the sun is making it’s way through the trees, warming up all of the hiking paths. The trails continue to be a wonderful spectacle as the weather increases, with beautiful lakes and scenic routes.
Parc Omega offers many different options for families, animal lovers, and those who want to be outside all year round! They offer car tours as well as walking tours which allow you to get into nature and see a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
Visit the Arboretum, located on Ottawa’s experimental farm which is home to Canada’s Agriculture and Food museum! Come walk through the park and enjoy the blooming flowers and the warm spring air this season.
Yoga on Parliament Hill is back for the spring and summer! Join Lulumon as they present renowned yoga instructors every Wednesday at noon! Just bring your own mat and water, all levels of yogis are welcome for free yoga on the hill!
Get on the water at Dow’s Lake. Since the beginning of May, canoe, kayaks and paddle boats are now available for rental until the end of the summer.
Camp Fortune is known to Ottawa as ski resort during the winter. However, starting in the spring those giant hills get a makeover and are turned into zip lines and high ropes courses! Leave your skis at home and bring your sneakers for an aerial adventure.
Just on the doorstep of the Lord Elgin Hotel is the Ottawa Marathon (Race Weekend) on May 25th to 28th, which has become one of the largest marathon events in North America, is a weekend dedicated to road running events, there are multiple different events to suite many different running abilities. From 2k to over 40k the event welcomes all to participate or support runners. The Lord Elgin Hotel makes it so easy to just get up out of bed, stretch and jump right into the start line!!
April in Ottawa continues with lots of fun events around Ottawa! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- Laugh the night away at the Canadian Improv Games now through Sunday, April 22 at the National Arts Centre as teams of high school students from across Canada perform improvised scenes!
- Unleash your inner geek as Science by Night returns to the Canadian Museum of Nature this Thursday, April 19 with fun science activities, trivia, games, and more!
- Enjoy a night of fine wines at Lansdowne this Thursday, April 19! County in the Capital 2018 gives guests the opportunity to meet wine and beer makers from Prince Edward County and sample their products.
- Enjoy sticky, saucy poutine this Thursday, April 19 to Sunday, April 22 at Ottawa PoutineFest at Ottawa City Hall! Admission is FREE!
- Cheer on the Ottawa Fury FC at their Home Opener this Saturday, April 21 at Lansdowne as they play the North Carolina FC!
- Explore the Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show this year at the EY Centre! Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22 enjoy axe throwing, archery, farm animals, puppy yoga, and lots more.
- To celebrate Earth Day, head to Parc Omega on Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22 to build your own Inukshuk around the First Nations Trail – and check out all the fantastic Canadian wildlife!
- This Sunday, April 22 marks National Tartan Day! Celebrate Scottish heritage on Parliament Hill with drums, Highland bagpiping, dance, and of course, wear your tartan! FREE!