COVID-19 Protocol & Update
OUR COMMITMENT TO SAFETY AND WELL-BEING
At the Lord Elgin Hotel, we are working hard to ensure that we are ready to welcome back our guests from around the world. As we adjust to new travel standards and expectations, we remain committed to providing peace of mind for our guests so they can relax in a safe and comfortable environment.
We fully embrace the enhanced requirements being issued by the local health authorities and governments on a country-by-country basis. As always, we remain uncompromising in our approach to cleanliness, and in many cases go above and beyond the health authority and government regulations. Below is an overview of some of the comprehensive steps we are taking to apply our enhanced protocols, which are subject to rigorous reviews. On every level, we will continue to protect the many communities we serve.
Rest assured, enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures are implemented in all public, high-contact areas at our hotels. Our dedicated colleagues sanitize all surfaces and touchpoints on a regular basis throughout the day. The hotel rooms are meticulously cleaned. Social distancing is observed in all public areas as required by local regulations; this includes restaurants, bars, banquet spaces, and our gym and pool area.
All our colleagues receive continuous training in the new protocols; including interaction with guests and welcome procedures. We will request some information from you at the time of check-in to ensure that we can understand your concerns and requirements, and tailor our service to you accordingly.
As always, our highest priority is our duty of care to our guests’ and colleagues’ health, safety, and well-being. We will continually evaluate and adapt our cleanliness protocols to meet the evolving challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. In these extraordinary times, we live by our values, which means doing everything we can to provide a safe and enjoyable stay for our guests whilst also providing the exemplary service for which we are known.
Measures we’re taking
How we’re ensuring workers know how to keep themselves safe from exposure to COVID-19
- Department Heads will provide training on Covid-19, how to protect themselves, and the hotel’s policies and practices for all staff members within their first shift.
- The General Manager, Guest Services Manager, and Joint Health & Safety Committee will meet regularly to discuss any changes to recommendations/guidance from Ottawa Public Health, PHAC, and Ontario Public Health to ensure that the Lord Elgin Hotel is adhering to best practices.
- Any new information/procedures will be provided to staff via direct communication (in-person meetings, phone calls, or direct emails) with department heads and written notice updates will be posted at the employee entrance/punch clock.
- Infographics will be used where appropriate to ensure more effective communication.
- Masks, gloves, cleaning products, and sanitization products will be provided to employees so that they can ensure that they are taking as many precautions as necessary while completing their duties.
How we’re screening for COVID-19
- Each employee will be asked to complete a self-assessment upon arriving at the hotel for their shift. The completed forms will be kept on file as required.
- Notices will be placed at each public entrance of the building to ask guests to self-screen and to refrain from entering the building if they have any of the listed symptoms.
- Guests will be required to provide proof of vaccination and identification, as required by the Province of Ontario’s Vaccine Passport system, before being provided access to the pool and fitness center, meeting spaces, or Grill 41.
How we’re controlling the risk of transmission in our workplace
- Employee spaces have been rearranged to promote distancing
- All room deliveries will be conducted in such a way that eliminates contact between employees and guests.
- Additional barriers have been added to the front desk and valet desk to minimize transmission during in-person interactions.
- Social distancing markers have been added to the public areas of the hotel, such as the lobby and elevators.
- High-contact items have been removed from guestrooms and are available upon request as non-contact room deliveries.
- Frequent cleaning and sanitization schedules will be implemented for all public areas, guest-contact surfaces, and workspaces.
- Employees are encouraged to provide any suggestions by email, in-person, or in writing to the General Manager. The General Manager will then review the suggestions with the appropriate department head to determine feasibility.
What we will do if there is a potential case, or suspected exposure to, COVID-19 at our workplace
- Potential cases or suspected exposure will immediately be reported to the appropriate Department Head and the General Manager.
- Employees who are suspected to have, or suspected to have been exposed to, Covid-19 will be immediately isolated from other employees and guests. Guests who believe that they have, or are suspected to have been exposed to, Covid-19 will be asked to remain in their guest rooms.
- Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000) and Ottawa Public Health will be contacted for instructions on how to continue.
- Operational details will be kept on file as required for contact tracing.
How we’re managing any new risks caused by the changes made to the way we operate our business
- The General Manager will continue to conduct risk assessments with each Department Head to identify risks in each department and to manage or eliminate the risks. New hazards and risks will be communicated with staff members in person and in writing to ensure that there is thorough and accurate communication.
- As employees are recalled or new employees are hired, they will be provided with training on Covid-19, how to protect themselves, and the hotel’s policies and practices as part of their orientation.
- Social distancing will be reassessed in the workplace as additional employees are required to ensure that the safety of staff members is maintained.
How we’re making sure our plan is working
- This plan will be reviewed by the General Manager and Department Heads once a month at a minimum. Additional reviews will be conducted with any changes to the recommendations of Ottawa Public Health or Public Health Ontario.
- Any suggestions made by guests or staff members in regards to the efficiency or effectiveness of policies and procedures will be reviewed by the appropriate Department Head and the General Manager. If the review results in a change in the policy or procedure, this plan will be updated, any affected staff will be informed directly, and a notice will be posted to ensure that all staff are aware of the change. Posted copies of this plan will also be updated.
WE ARE VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT PROVIDING OUR GUESTS WITH THE WARM HOSPITALITY THAT YOU HAVE COME TO KNOW US FOR. DESPITE ALL THESE NEW PRECAUTIONS AND PROCEDURES, WE WANT YOU TO FEEL AS WELCOME AND AT HOME AS ALWAYS.