The Lord Elgin Hotel is the ideal spot to escape to Ottawa, Canada’s Capital City, and celebrate the holiday season. Located in the heart of the downtown of Ottawa, you cannot imagine a better location to enjoy the colors and excitement of the festive season.
From December 4, 2019 to January 7th, 2020, the Christmas Lights across Canada program is turned on, illuminating Elgin Street and Confederation Park, as well as Wellington and Parliament Hill. The hotel is surrounded with twinkling lights and you cannot help but feel festive. The radiant event, which began moe than three decades ago, became such a hit that cities across Canada now participate in what’s become a national tradition.
Magical winter lightscapes show
From December 4, 2019 to January 7, 2020, a winter lightscapes multimedia show is projected onto Parliament Hill’s Centre Block. Inspired by Canada’s nature, climate and culture, this 13-minute fairy tale runs nightly in a loop, from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m (until midnight on December 31).
Official lighting route
From December 4th 2019 to January 7, 2020 from 5:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. each day.
Be charmed by the thousands of dazzling holiday lights that brighten Confederation Boulevard, Canada’s ceremonial route that circles the heart of the Capital. Follow the route and admire the illuminated sites including the National War Memorial, the Garden of Provinces and Territories and the view from Alexandra Bridge.
Some of the best places to experience the lights include the National War Memorial, the Garden of Provinces and the view from Alexandra Bridge.
For a detailed map, CLICK HERE
If you want to do some serious Christmas shopping, you are in the right spot. The Rideau Centre is only one block from the hotel with over 180 of the biggest names in fashion beauty, and many new exciting newcomers to the mall. Just a few blocks away is the Byward Market. Created by John By in 1826, the Byward Market is one of Canada’s oldest and largest public markets. A favourite spot for visitors and locals, in this four block radius you will find museums, cafes, boutiques, specialty food shops, night clubs, restaurants, pubs, galleries, hair and aesthetics salons and spas and more. Book our Holiday Shopping Package – a perfect little getaway to take advantage of our amazing location and get your shopping done in time for the holidays!
BOOK YOUR HOLIDAY PARTY!
Now is the time to book your Office Holiday Party and our Catering Department is offering a Great Deal on your party if you Book Now! See our menus here. Call our Catering department 613-563-6415.
Grill 41 Restaurant in the Lord Elgin offers their special holiday menu for Christmas Day, (Brunch & Dinner) which books up very quickly . Check out our menus at Grill 41’s website here or call at 613-569-2126.
HOLIDAY RATES & DEALS:
The Lord Elgin has a variety of packages and special rates for the holidays, such as our Book Direct (up to 15% off) Cars Stay Free Package or our very popular Stay and Save Rate that offer up to 30% off your stay. We are also offering a Christmas Stay Package including 2 coupons for a welcome cocktail (to enjoy by our lobby fireplace) as well as a welcome stocking from Santa (if you are staying on the 24th that is). For this one you will have to call the hotel directly at 1-800-267-4298 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book. Check out our Specials and Packages page for more information and to book your next stay.
There are a number of fabulous shows & concerts taking place in Ottawa this season.
- Come in from the Cold – Fourth Stage – Nov 23rd – National Arts Centre
- Blind Boys of Alabama Christmas Show – Nov 28th – National Arts Centre
- Ottawa Choral Society – Handel’s Messiah – St Francis of Assisi Church
- Ottawa Bach Choir – Dec 1 – Knox Presbyterian Church
- The 17th Annual Christmas GOOSE Concert – Dec 1st – National Arts Centre
- Masters in the Hall – Celtic Music– Dec 3 – National Arts Centre
- The Nutcracker – Royal Winnipeg Ballet – Dec 4- National Arts Centre
- Elf the Musical – Dec 5-9- Centrepointe Theatre
- The Hockey Sweater – A Musical – Dec 5-23 – National Arts Centre
- Emilie-Claire Barlow: Winter Lights – Dec 6 – National Arts Centre
- The Debaters Live on Tour – Holiday Special – Dec 7 – National Arts Centre
- Christmas in the Valley – Dec 12 – Centrepointe Theatre
- Holiday Hits with the NAC Orchestra – Dec 12-14 – National Arts Centre
- The Barra MacNeils– Dec 12 – National Arts Centre
- CBC Project Give – Dec 13 – National Arts Centre
- A Winter’s Night featuring Skydiggers, Basia Bulat & More – Dec 13-14 – National Arts Centre
- Silent Winters Christmas Show – Dec 13 – National Arts Centre
- Adawaning: Indigenous Women’s Art Market – Dec 14 – National Arts Centre
- Christmas with Céleste Lévis – Dec 14 – National Arts Centre
- Serena Ryder – Dec 15 – National Arts Centre
- Toddler Tuesdays – Dec 17 – National Arts Centre
- Seniors Pop Up Painting – Dec 18 – National Arts Centre
- La Chapelle Sings Messiah – Dec 18-19 – National Arts Centre
- Good Lovelies Christmas Concert – Dec 19 – National Arts Centre
- Gospel Celebration for the Holidays with the London Trio + – Dec 19 – National Arts Centre
- Christmas with Matt Andersen & Friends – Dec 20 – National Arts Centre
- Kellylee Evans’ Winter Song – Dec 21 – National Arts Centre
- A Jann Arden Christmas with the NAC Orchestra – Dec 21-22 – National Arts Centre
- Les lundis des tout-petits – Dec 23 – National Arts Centre
- In the Christmas Mood with the Glenn Miller Orchestra – Dec 23 – National Arts Centre
- New Year’s Eve at the NAC – Dec 31 – National Arts Centre
..and for what is happening this coming weekend..
There are tons of fun holiday events to celebrate in Ottawa! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of some of the great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- Marvel at the many decorated Christmas trees in the Fairmont Château Laurier lobby! Visit to vote for your favourite tree at the Trees of Hope fundraiser for the CHEO Foundation, on now through to January 2020. FREE!
- It’s skating season! The refrigerated skating rinks at Lansdowne Skating Court and Rink of Dreams at Ottawa City Hall are now open for the season. The refrigerated rink at Rideau Hall opens on Saturday, December 7 (open weekends). FREE!
- Drop by the brand new Ottawa Christmas Market located at the Casino Lac-Leamy Plaza at Lansdowne, Fridays to Sundays until December 22 for local goods, treats, performances, and more! FREE!
- Let’s Get Lucky returns to the Casino du Lac-Leamy – enjoy classic game show fun every Thursday until December 12 with special games, trivia, and more.
- A Christmas tradition returns to the National Arts Centre – catch The Nutcracker, presented by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, on now until Sunday, December 8!
- Visit the Bytown Museum and get into the holiday spirit with Christmas Craft-ernoons, weekends now until December 22!
- The EY Centre will be full of lights and Christmas displays now through to January 5, 2020 with Christmas Glow!
- The National Gallery of Canada invites the public to their Christmas Tree Lighting this Thursday, December 5! While there, check out the new exhibition Àbadakone | Continuous Fire | Feu continuel, on until April 2020; or enjoy a fun Holiday PJ Party at Family Sundays on Sunday, December 8.
- Drop by Parc Omega to see Santa Claus on Saturday, December 7 and Sunday, December 8! The holiday celebrations include face painting, a fun elf hunt, and more weekends until Sunday, December 22.
- Get your Christmas scares in at The Haunted Walk’s special themed “Nightmare Before/After Xmas” which explores the darker side of the festive season on select dates until December 30.
- Learn about Inuit customs at the Kuujjuaq Christmas Candy Drop at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Sundays until December 22!
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they take on the Boston Bruins on Monday, December 9 at the Canadian Tire Centre!
- There are tons of great Christmas and holiday markets happening around Ottawa, including the Originals Ottawa Christmas Craft Sale on now until December 15 and the Holiyay Freewheeling Craft Market from Friday, December 6 to Sunday, December 8. Check out lots of other great markets and holiday events on the Ottawa Tourism Event Calendar