The Lord Elgin Hotel is the ideal spot to escape to Ottawa, Canada’s Capital City, and celebrate the holiday season. Located in the heart of the downtown of Ottawa, you cannot imagine a better location to enjoy the colors and excitement of the festive season.
From December 5, 2018 to January 7th, 2019, the Christmas Lights across Canada program is turned on, illuminating Elgin Street and Confederation Park, as well as Wellington and Parliament Hill. The hotel is surrounded with twinkling lights and you cannot help but feel festive..
If you want to do some serious Christmas shopping, you are in the right spot. The Rideau Centre is only one block from the hotel with over 180 of the biggest names in fashion beauty, and many new exciting newcomers to the mall. Just a few blocks away is the Byward Market. Created by John By in 1826, the Byward Market is one of Canada’s oldest and largest public markets. A favourite spot for visitors and locals, in this four block radius you will find museums, cafes, boutiques, specialty food shops, night clubs, restaurants, pubs, galleries, hair and aesthetics salons and spas and more.
BOOK YOUR HOLIDAY PARTY!
Now is the time to book your Office Holiday Party and our Catering Department is offering a Great Deal on your party if you Book Now! See our flyer here. Call our Catering department 613-563-6415.
Grill 41 Restaurant in the Lord Elgin offers their special holiday menu for Christmas Day, (Brunch & Dinner) which books up very quickly . Check out our menus at Grill 41’s website here or call at 613-569-2126.
HOLIDAY RATES & DEALS:
The Lord Elgin has a variety of packages and special rates for the holidays, such as our Book Direct (10% off) Cars Stay Free Package or our very popular Stay and Save Rate that offer up to 30% off your stay. We are also offering a Christmas Stay Package including breakfast and a welcome stocking from Santa. For this one you will have to call the hotel directly at 1-800-267-4298 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book. Check out our Specials and Packages page for more information and to book your next stay.
There are a number of fabulous shows & concerts taking place in Ottawa this season.
- When Winter Comes – Nov 24th – National Arts Centre
- Good Lovelies Christmas Concert – Nov 27th – National Arts Centre
- Canadian Pacific Holiday Train – Nov 28th – Various locations near Ottawa
- The Nutcracker – Alberta Ballet – Nov 28 – Dec 2nd – National Arts Centre
- Christmas in Venice – the Ottawa Bach Choir – Dec 1 – St. Matthew’s Church in the Glebe
- Elf the Musical – Dec 5-9- Centrepointe Theatre
- The Hockey Sweater – A Musical – Dec 5-23 – National Arts Centre
- Holiday Swing – Dec 6-8 – National Arts Centre
- The Barra MacNeils– Dec 7 – Centrepointe Theatre
- Holiday Traditions Around the World – Dec 8-9 – National Arts Centre
- Atrium Craft Market – Dec 9 – National Arts Centre
- Ottawa Choral Society & Chamberfest – King’s Singers – Dec 14 – 15 – Dominion-Chalmers Church
- Christmas Concert by Candlelight with Ambitus – Dec 15 – Trinity Presbyterian Church, Carp
- Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy: A Celtic Family Christmas– Dec 16 – National Arts Centre
- Handel’s Messiah – Dec 18-19 – National Arts Centre
- Sultans of String Christmas Caravan – Dec 18 – National Arts Centre
- A Skydiggers Christmas – Dec 19 – National Arts Centre
- Christmas with Matt Andersen– Dec 20 – National Arts Centre
- The Christmas List – Dec 21 – National Arts Centre
- Johnny Reid; Home for the Holidays with the NAC Orchestra – Dec 21-22, National Arts Centre
- Gospel Celebrations for the Holidays – Dec 22 – National Arts Centre
- The Tenors – The Classics – Dec 23 – National Arts Centre
- New Year’s Eve at the NAC – Dec 31 – National Arts Centre
The holiday season is in full swing with great activities around Ottawa! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- Skating in Ottawa begins with the SENS Rink of Dreams in front of Ottawa City Hall, the Skating Rink at Rideau Hall (public skating available on weekends), and the Lansdowne Park Skating Court which are all now open for skaters. FREE!
- Learn about the darker side of the holiday season with the special Haunted Walk Nightmare Before/After Xmas tours! Hear spooky, Christmas-themed ghost stories about Ottawa on select evenings between now and the end of December.
- The Christmas Lights Across Canada program continues in Ottawa with illuminated buildings along Confederation Boulevard and a Magical Winter Lightscapes show projected onto Centre Block on Parliament Hill nightly until the beginning of January. FREE!
- Check out the brand new Ottawa Winter Wonderland Christmas Market in the ByWard Market neighbourhood! Enjoy deals from restaurants, pop-up stalls, and entertainment in the Clarendon Courtyard (between George Street and York Street, just behind the shops on Sussex Drive) now through to Sunday, December 9. Admission is FREE!
- Ottawa’s first food hall, Queen St. Fare is open as of Friday, December 7 at 170 Queen Street! Check out food and drink from local vendors such as Mercadito (prepared by chef René Rodriguez), Bar Robo, Fiazza Fresh Fired, Green Rebel, Sen Kitchen, Capitol Burger Counter, and Q Bar with fun music and events.
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they play the Montréal Canadiens on Thursday, December 6; the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday, December 8; and the Boston Bruins on Sunday, December 9.
- There are only two Thursdays left to Get Lucky at the Casino du Lac-Leamy! On Thursday, December 6 and Thursday, December 13 enjoy ‘70s-themed games, shows, and fun entertainment! Or, check out Abbamania – One Nite of ABBA this weekend on Friday, December 7, Saturday, December 8 as well as next weekend.
- Skate to your favourite Christmas tunes at the DJ Skate Night: Holiday Edition at the Arena at TD Place this Friday, December 7!
- Craft up a storm at Christmas Craft-ernoons at the Bytown Museum, Saturdays and Sundays until Sunday, December 23.
- Check out all the fun Christmas markets and activities around Ottawa, including: Alight at Night at Upper Canada Village, the Magic of Lights and Holidays at the Parks at Wesley Clover Parks, the Ottawa Farmers’ Market: Christmas Market at Lansdowne, Vintage Village of Lights at the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum, the Christmas Village at Stanley’s Olde Maple Lane Farm, the Originals Ottawa Christmas Craft Sale at the EY Centre, North Gower Farmers’ Market Annual Christmas Sale, How the Grinch Spied on Christmas at the Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum, and many more fun holiday events! (Check websites for more information and dates). Some events are FREE!