The Lord Elgin Hotel is the ideal spot to escape to Ottawa, Canada’s Capital City, and celebrate the holiday season. Located in the heart of downtown Ottawa, you cannot imagine a better location to enjoy the colors and excitement of the festive season.
From December 8, 2021, 2019 to January 7th, 2022, the Christmas Lights across Canada program is turned on, illuminating Elgin Street and Confederation Park, as well as Wellington and Parliament Hill from 5:30 pm to 1:00 am each evening. The hotel is surrounded by trees, covered with colorful Christmas lights and you cannot help but feel festive. This event, which began more than 30 years ago, became such a hit that many cities across Canada now participate in what’s become a national tradition.
November 13-14, 2021-Kemptville Campus, 75 Campus Drive, Kemptville, ON
Spend the evening at the annual outdoor Christmas market in the nearby town of Kemptville. A lovely local festival for friends and family to shop for homemade Christmas Ornaments, decorations, and gifts.
November 13, 2021 – January 20, 2022 (Wednesday – Sunday) Ottawa Art Gallery, 10 Daly Avenue, Ottawa, ON
Visit Ottawa Art Gallery’s annual holiday showcase this season before planning your Christmas shopping. You will find original artworks, ceramics, jewelry, homeware, kids’ crafts, art supplies, books, and more. Discover great gifts for everyone on your list, while supporting Canadian artists and the Ottawa Art Gallery!
November 18 – December 23, 2021, The Log Farm, 670 Cedarview Road, Ottawa, ON
the Log Farm is simply put – magical!!! Pick out the perfect Christmas tree then warm up with hot apple cider. Bring your letters for Santa and peek around his workshop. Then jump on a wagon ride or pet some of the very friendly animals at this event put on annually.
November 19, 2021 – January, 8, 2022 – Wesley Clover Parks, 401 Corkstown Road, Ottawa, ON
An Ottawa favorite for years, this display of dazzling Magic of Lights drive-through is a must-see!! Lined with two kilometers of sparkling LED light displays, this event is great for the whole family to safely enjoy from the comfort of your car.
November 20-28, 2021 – Glebe Community Centre, 175 Third Avenue, Ottawa, ON
It is all about supporting local these days and here is your chance. The Glebe Craft and Artisan fair is a favorite holiday event for all? The two-weekend event welcomes you to meet with local, high-quality talent and to discover unique treasures.
November 26 – December 22, 2021 – Casino Lac-Leamy Plaza at Lansdowne, Marché Way, Ottawa, Ontario
Each year on weekends and select additional days leading up to Christmas, the Ottawa Christmas Market takes over the outdoor plaza at Lansdowne in the vibrant Glebe neighbourhood. The family-friendly and free event features seasonal food and drink (including alcoholic options), local goods at vendor cabins, glittering displays, and live performances.
November 27, 2021 – January 2, 2022 – Saunders Farm, 7893 Bleeks Road, Ottawa
By day, enjoy pre-cut Christmas trees, hedge mazes, wagon rides, Christmas displays, a Farm Shop with local vendors and more! By night, drive through the Country Christmas drive-through experience and enjoy the holiday lights and displays from the comfort of your own car!
November 28, 2021 – Holiday Inn and Suites Kanata, 101 Kanata Ave., Kanata, ON
Support local this holiday by visiting the Holiday Inn & Suites Craft Fair lined with a multitude of Ottawa Artisans. Discover unique finds from jewelry, pottery, spices and much more to level up your Christmas shopping this season!
December 3-5, 2021 – National Arts Centre, 1 Elgin Street, Ottawa, ON
A family favourite is back this holiday season! Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet is descending upon the National Arts Centre to perform their much-loved, all-Canadian version of the timeless story of Nutcracker. Join Clara in her fairy-tale reverie — along with her Prince, the Mouse King, Sugar Plum Fairy, majestic Mounties and Filbert the Bear — for this delightful frolic through a winter wonderland. Set to Tchaikovsky’s iconic score, the Nutcracker will immerse you into a fantastical world of extravagant sets and costumes.
December 8-12, 2021 – EY Centre, 4899 Uplands Drive, Ottawa, ON
Looking for a one-of-a-kind Christmas gift? Visit over 150 of Canada’s best artists, artisans and designers with innovative displays and contemporary designs at this handmade marketplace. Plus, attend this in-person event to meet and learn from Canada’s makers and creatives from across country.
December 9-11, 2021 – National Arts Centre, 1 Elgin Street, Ottawa, ON
Prepare to be mesmerized by the beauty of the NAC Orchestra combined with the thrill of the circus from Troupe Vertigo’s outstanding performances. Watch this holiday-themed event featuring classics like “March of the Toys,” “A Caribbean Sleigh Ride,” and “What Child is This?”
December 15-16, 2021, National Arts Centre, 1 Elgin Street, Ottawa, ON
Experience the joy and mystery exuded from Handel’s Messiah as we celebrate our relationship to the divine this holiday season. Conducted by Bernard Labadie, a world-renowned expert in the Baroque and Classical repertoire, the National Arts Centre is excited to present this masterpiece with the NAC Orchestra.
December 19 and 20th, 2021 – St. Francois d’Assise Church, 20 Fairmont Avenue, Ottawa, ON
A local favourite, conducted by Jean-Sebastien Vallée, this season will begin with J.S. Bach’s Christmas Oratorio on Sunday, December 19th and 20th
If you want to do some serious Christmas shopping, you are in the right spot. The Rideau Centre is only one block from the hotel with over 180 of the biggest names in fashion beauty, and many new exciting newcomers to the mall. Just a few blocks away is the Byward Market. Created by John By in 1826, the Byward Market is one of Canada’s oldest and largest public markets. A favourite spot for visitors and locals, in this four block radius you will find museums, cafes, boutiques, speciality food shops, night clubs, restaurants, pubs, galleries, hair and aesthetics salons and spas and more. Book our Holiday Shopping Package – a perfect little getaway to take advantage of our amazing location and get your shopping done in time for the holidays!
BOOK YOUR HOLIDAY PARTY!
Now is the time to book your Office Holiday Party and our Catering Department is offering a Great Deal on your party if you Book Now! See our menus here. Call our Catering department 613-563-6410.
Grill 41 Restaurant in the Lord Elgin Hotel offers their special holiday menu for Christmas Day, (Brunch & Dinner) which books up very quickly. Check out our menus at Grill 41’s website here or call at 613-569-2126.
HOLIDAY RATES & DEALS:
Lord Elgin has a variety of packages and special rates for the holidays, such as our Book Direct Offer (up to 15% off) or the very popular Stay and Save Rate that offers a $100 rebate on your stay. Check out our Specials and Packages page for more information and to book your next stay.
Here are just some of the activities and experiences available in the region as of Thursday, November 25:
- The Ottawa Christmas Market kicks off this Friday, November 26 with an official tree lighting ceremony at 6pm! Enjoy the European-style market at Lansdowne with lots of local vendors, food, and programming Fridays through Sundays until December 22 (including the week leading up to Christmas). While at Lansdowne, the Ottawa Farmers’ Market takes place on Saturdays and Sundays in the Aberdeen Pavilion and the Lansdowne Skating Court opens for the season as of Friday, November 26. FREE!
- This weekend, the Adàwàning: Indigenous Women’s Virtual Art Market takes place online. Shop for goods from Indigenous artists and artisans from Friday, November 26 to Sunday, November 28. FREE!
- Cheer on the Ottawa 67’s as they take on the North Bay Battalion this Saturday, November 27 at TD Place!
- There are lots of ways to enjoy the holiday season in Ottawa! Enjoy the Magic of Lights drive-through display at Wesley Clover Parks, Alight at Night at Upper Canada Village, a Country Christmas at Saunders Farm, and Christmas Down on the Farm at the Log Farm (check schedules for exact dates and times). Check out more holiday season events in Ottawa on the Ottawa Tourism website!
- There are lots of fun times to be had at the Casino Lac-Leamy with their holiday programming!
- Hockey fans will enjoy the Capital City Challenge which runs from Friday, November 26 to Wednesday, December 1 and sees the Canada’s National Women’s Team and three national under-17 hockey teams play at TD Place!
- The Ottawa Children’s Storytelling Festival wraps up this Saturday, November 27. Until then, enjoy virtual story time in English and French for kids of all ages. FREE!
- Shop for festive goods at holiday markets across Ottawa, including the Kanata Central Holiday Craft Fair, Watson’s Mill Christmas Market in the Square, the Ottawa Art Gallery’s Art & Parcel, and the Glebe Craft & Artisan Fair (check schedules for exact dates and times).
Find out more great activities to do in and around Ottawa on the Ottawa Insider Blog!