Dale Grant (center)
In the hotel’s 45th year, a new employee by the name of Dale Grant started working here. On August 26, 1986, Dale started off working in food prep at the Pub in the lower level of the hotel. He worked there for 4 years before they closed for renovations.
A short time after that he was offered a position as a houseman in our housekeeping department, which he gladly accepted. His position consists of cleaning the lobby and public spaces, laundry, shampooing and the outside maintenance of the hotel. This also includes tending to the beautiful tulips on the hotel grounds every year. Dale always has a smile on his face and loves to say hello to both guests and staff alike.
Dale has been with the hotel for 32 years and has seen it undergo 2 renovations. His fondest memories of the hotel are when the hotel is at its busiest, namely, spring and summer (tourist season), Christmas and March break. During this time there is always a rush at the hotel.
When asked of a position at the hotel he would like to switch to and work at for a day, Dale smiled and said, “Front desk and switchboard. Front desk gets to meet different people every day and switchboard seems interesting.”
Dale lives with his partner and cat, whom is basically his first baby. His second baby is the Lord Elgin Hotel lobby…that is Dale Grant’s territory.
Thank you Dale for your dedication, hard work and bringing a smile to every guest face when they walk into the Lord Elgin Hotel lobby. The Lord Elgin family appreciates you.
by Yaanyarko Adu
With summer almost midway, I often hear conversations with parents thinking about what fun activities they can do with their kids; what camp to send them to next or what family member to let them spend a couple of days with. Then there are those who cannot wait for September to roll around to get them back into school. Either way it is nice to get a couple of days of family time.
At the Lord Elgin, there are some affordable packages for the parents who would like to have a family weekend and also for the ones hoping to get some one on one time with your partner.
Here are some choices and what they entail:
- Accommodation for up to four (maximum two adults; children 0-12 years)
- Valet parking for one vehicle
- Full Buffet Breakfast for Four (two adults and two children up to 12 years) in the Grill 41
- Family Pass to the Museum of Nature
- Family Pass to the Museum of History
- Museum Pass for each adult to National Gallery of Canada.
- Full breakfast buffet for each adult in Grill 41
- Decadent Stubbe’s truffles on arrival
- accommodation in a beautifully appointed guest room,
- access passes to Calypso Waterpark for each adult (max 4 over 1.3m),
- Valet parking with unlimited in and out privileges
- Romantic Escape Package
- Breakfast in Bed for Two: start your morning right with a $40 credit for a lazy breakfast in bed from our in-room service.
- Sparkling Wine and Truffles: sip some bubbly while enjoying these decadent chocolate truffles from local chocolatier, Stubbe Chocolates
- $25 Gift Card to Metropolitan Brasserie or The Grand: Your choice of gift card to either of these two hot Ottawa restaurants
- Lazy Check Out : Don’t rush your Romantic getaway. We will extend your check out time to 2PM so that you can enjoy your morning.
You could also just book a regular night through the Lord Elgin Website, www.lordelginhotel.ca, and book some fun-filled activities on your own.
- Canal Ritz (www.canalritz.com), Start your afternoon cruise on the Rideau Canal for 1.5 hours and head out for a 3-course meal at Ritz Canal.
- Explore Ottawa (www.rideaucanalcruises.ca), a relaxing cruise on the canal, tour of the Haunted Walk and Bytown Museum.
- Rideau Canal & Ottawa River Tour, (www.rideaucanalcruises.ca), 2 individual 90-minute tours)
- Calypso Waterpark, (www.calypsopark.com), Canada’s largest outdoor waterpark
- Nordik Spa, (www.chelsea.lenordik.com), Largest spa in North America
- Funhaven, (www.funhaven.com), Family recreational, entertainment complex
It would not be a summer in Ottawa without ending off the night with the spectacular show at Parliament Hill, Northern Lights, a theatrical light show showcasing Canada’s history.
There are many options for everyone but one thing that is for sure is relaxation is needed before the busy school season begins and the Lord Elgin family can help start you off.