Celebrate the most unique activity Ottawa has to offer – skating on the Rideau Canal – and taking in a host of fabulous winter events!
From January 31 to February 17th, Ottawa plays host to the best Winter festival ever – a Canadian Signature Experience called Winterlude!
As one of the Official Winterlude Hotels, the Lord Elgin Hotel is your best choice of location to take it all in!! CLICK HERE for the extensive line-up for Winterlude 2020!
Just announced!!! The programming for Winterlude 2020 is better than ever!! Three weekends of ice carving competitions, Hometown Hockey just across the street from the Lord Elgin Hotel at the Rink of Dreams (February 9th) and so much more!!!
Stay at the Lord Elgin Hotel, where you are at the heart of the best winter activities. The Rideau Canal, now in the Guinness Book of Records as the Longest Skating Rink in the World, is located only one block from the hotel and has already opened to public skating. Other key event sites for Winterlude, including Sparks Street Mall, home to the Ice Carving Competition, are all within a few blocks of the hotel.
Coinciding with the opening weekend is the Canadian Culinary Championships held at the Shaw Centre. Featuring 12 gold medal-winning chefs from around Canada with three intense competitions over the course of two days! Order of Canada Recipient and frontman of the iconic rock band, Chilliwack, Bill Henderson will be featured along with other musicians. For more information, CLICK HERE!
On February 8th and 9th, Rogers Hometown Hockey comes to Ottawa. Taking place at the Rink of Dreams just across the street from the Lord Elgin Hotel at City Hall, you cannot choose a better place to stay to take it all in!!
The Lord Elgin is again offering our very popular Winter Getaway Package that is the ideal combination for your visit to this amazing festival. With skate rentals, free parking and breakfast and just a short walk to the canal, it doesn’t get better. BOOK IT NOW!
Each year, the Lord Elgin has one of the teams from the ice carvers competition create for us a beautiful ice bench. Check out our ice bench from previous years, most, if not all, carved by the award-winning team Sakha from Russia! Take your photo on our bench and post to Twitter or Instagram and include the hashtag #MyLordElgin to be eligible to win a Romantic Getaway at the Lord Elgin Hotel!!
Steps away you can also enjoy the best shopping Ottawa has to offer – the Rideau Centre, just one block from the hotel and the Byward Market, which is full of boutiques and specialty stores to find that unique item. Dine in the hotel, or try one of the many restaurants and eateries located on or near Elgin Street, or in the Byward Market, in the Glebe or Westboro… all very popular with foodies!
For more information check out the Ottawa Tourism website
Check out what is happening over the coming week….
Winter in Ottawa continues with another great weekend of Winterlude events! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of some of the great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- Winterlude continues until Monday, February 17 (Family Day in Ontario)! Check out lots of fun programming across this year’s official sites: the Rideau Canal Skateway, Snowflake Kingdom (Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau), and a new location on Sparks Street. Some of the fun Winterlude events happening this weekend, include: Winterlude Battle of Americas Ice Carving Challenge, Super Slides, a roving DJ on the Rideau Canal Skateway, RCMP Musical Ride Open House and Food Drive, and much more. Most of the activities are FREE!
- Get around between Winterlude destinations using the SnoBus, offered during Winterlude on Saturdays and Sundays between 10:00am and 5:30pm. FREE!
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they play the Colorado Avalanche on Thursday, February 6 at the Canadian Tire Centre.
- Swing by the Bytown Museum to check out their special Ice Carving Demonstration this Saturday, February 8, complete with winter crafts and hot chocolate!
- It’s a ByWard Blizzard during Winterlude! Until Monday, February 17 swing by the neighbourhood for light and sound installations, a Lego pop-up, and more. This weekend, check out the Free Wagon Rides and Petting Zoo, Andaz Ice Bar, and The Grand Ice Bar.
- It’s a busy weekend at Lansdowne with a Winter Warm Up on Thursday, February 6; Capital Hoops on Friday, February 7; and an Ottawa 67’s game on Sunday, February 9!
- The BeaverTails Ottawa Ice Dragon Boat Festival takes place this Friday, February 7 and Saturday, February 8 at Dows Lake! Watch exciting races, listen to concerts, enjoy special programming, and more. FREE!
- Enjoy all things hockey at the Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour Friday, February 7 to Sunday, February 9 at Ottawa City Hall! Check out lots of games; shows; NHL Alumni appearances; a Shinny Hockey Day on Saturday, February 8; and more. FREE!
- Celebrate Indigenous culture at the Canadian Museum of History on Saturday, February 8 with a night of Indigenous Culture and Cuisine and Resilience and Revival – Indigenous History on Saturday, February 8 and Sunday, February 9.
- Warm up at the Fire & Ice Festival on Bank Street this Saturday, February 8 and Sunday, February 9 with tons of cool events like skating on the street, silent disco, glow yoga, and more!
- Enjoy a fun night at the Casino du Lac-Leamy now weekends until mid-February at Pop Casino with special games, prizes, music and more!