Celebrate the most unique activity Ottawa has to offer – skating on the Rideau Canal – and taking in a host of fabulous winter events!
From February 1st to 18th, Ottawa plays host to the best winter festival ever – a Canadian Signature Experience called Winterlude!
Stay at the Lord Elgin Hotel, where you are at the heart of the best winter activities. The Rideau Canal, now in the Guinness Book of Records as the Longest Skating Rink in the World, is located only one block from the hotel and has already opened to public skating. Other key event sites for Winterlude, including the Byward Market, home to the Ice Carving Competition, are all within a few blocks of the hotel.
This year for the very first time the Lord Elgin Hotel is hosting the Lord Elgin Hotel-Grey Goose Ice Carving Competition. With up to 8 professional ice carvers from the Canadian Ice Carving Society, the Lord Elgin is featuring a competition on Saturday, February 2nd on it’s patio’s in front of Starbucks and Grill 41. Come join us to watch this amazing talent and help us judge the top 3 at 3:30pm.
The Lord Elgin is again offering our very popular Winter Getaway Package that is the ideal combination for your visit to this amazing festival. With skate rentals, free parking and breakfast and just a short walk to the canal, it doesn’t get better. BOOK IT NOW!
Chef Neil Mather has much in store for guests in the coming weeks, ranging from a pop up dinner with John Morris of the CN Tower on Saturday, February 2nd in Grill 41, to an amazing Valentines Menu available from the 14th to the 17th. See his chat on Rogers cable here!!
Check out our Ice Bench for this year, carved by Team Sakha from Russia! Take your photo on our bench and post to Twitter or Instagram and include the hashtag #MyLordElgin to be eligible to win a Romantic Getaway at the Lord Elgin Hotel!!
Steps away you can also enjoy best shopping Ottawa has to offer – the Rideau Centre, just one block from the hotel and the Byward Market, which is full of boutiques and specialty stores to find that unique item. Dine in the hotel, or try one of the many restaurants and eateries located on or near Elgin Street, or in the Byward Market, in the Glebe or Westboro… all very popular with foodies!
Winterlude wraps up this long weekend with a long list of fun, winter programming across Ottawa! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- The 41st edition of Winterlude continues this weekend until Monday, February 18 (Family Day in Ontario)! Check out lots of fun programming across this year’s official sites: the Rideau Canal Skateway (check conditions online), Snowflake Kingdom (Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau), Crystal Garden (which changed location this year from Confederation Park to York Street in the ByWard Market neighbourhood), and Sparks Street (a new location this year)! Some of the fun Winterlude activities happening this weekend, include: Snowmania in the Glebe, Escape Manor’s Winterlude Wanderlust Scavenger Hunt, the Super Slides, SubZero Electro DJ Nights, 41st Gatineau Loppet, 39th Accora Village Bed Race for Kiwanis, Canadian Ice Carvers’ Society Ice-Carving Championship, and much more! Be sure to check out the #MyOttawa ice sculpture on Sparks Street between Elgin Street and Metcalfe Street for a photo-op. Most of the activities are FREE!
- Check out the new world music festival developed by Ottawa Bluesfest, Come See and Hear the World this Friday, February 15 and Saturday, February 16 at venues around Ottawa! Some shows are FREE!
- Check out the National Arts Centre for family fun at the first-ever Big Bang Festival on Sunday, February 17 and Monday, February 18! Most activities are FREE!
- Get around between Winterlude official sites using the OLG SnoBus, offered during Winterlude on Saturdays between 10:00am and 8:00pm and Sundays between 10:00am and 5:00pm. On Monday, February 18, ride the SnoBus between 10:00am and 3:00pm between Dow’s Lake, the Rideau Canal Skateway, the ByWard Market, and Jacques Cartier Park. FREE!
- Spend your Valentine’s Day with a loved one enjoying a unique experience in Ottawa – check out some romantic, fun and unique ideas for an Ottawa Valentine’s Day!
- The National Gallery of Canada presents The Gift of Jazz on Thursday, February 14 in celebration of Black History Month.
- Take advantage of the winter weather in Gatineau Park and check out the fun event Snowshoe Under the Stars… guided walks and snowshoe rentals are offered Friday nights until March!
- It’s a busy weekend at Lansdowne with the Ottawa Winter Brewfest on Friday, February 15 and Saturday, February 16; a Free Public Skate on Friday, February 15; Ottawa 67’s games on Friday, February 15, Sunday, February 17 and Monday, February 18; a Winter Ottawa Farmers’ Market on Sunday, February 17; and more! Some events are FREE!
- Dance the night away as the Canadian War Museum hosts Ottawa SwingFest on Saturday, February 16 for a night of ‘40s-themed fun!
For more information check out the Ottawa Tourism website