Celebrate the most unique activity Ottawa has to offer – skating on the Rideau Canal – and taking in a host of fabulous winter events!
From January 31 to February 17th, Ottawa plays host to the best Winter festival ever – a Canadian Signature Experience called Winterlude!
As one of the Official Winterlude Hotels, the Lord Elgin Hotel is your best choice of location to take it all in!! CLICK HERE for the extensive line-up for Winterlude 2020!
Just announced!!! The programming for Winterlude 2020 is better than ever!! Three weekends of ice carving competitions, Hometown Hockey just across the street from the Lord Elgin Hotel at the Rink of Dreams (February 9th) and so much more!!!
Stay at the Lord Elgin Hotel, where you are at the heart of the best winter activities. The Rideau Canal, now in the Guinness Book of Records as the Longest Skating Rink in the World, is located only one block from the hotel and has already opened to public skating. Other key event sites for Winterlude, including Sparks Street Mall, home to the Ice Carving Competition, are all within a few blocks of the hotel.
Coinciding with the opening weekend is the Canadian Culinary Championships held at the Shaw Centre. Featuring 12 gold medal-winning chefs from around Canada with three intense competitions over the course of two days! Order of Canada Recipient and frontman of the iconic rock band, Chilliwack, Bill Henderson will be featured along with other musicians. For more information, CLICK HERE!
On February 8th and 9th, Rogers Hometown Hockey comes to Ottawa. Taking place at the Rink of Dreams just across the street from the Lord Elgin Hotel at City Hall, you cannot choose a better place to stay to take it all in!!
The Lord Elgin is again offering our very popular Winter Getaway Package that is the ideal combination for your visit to this amazing festival. With skate rentals, free parking and breakfast and just a short walk to the canal, it doesn’t get better. BOOK IT NOW!
Each year, the Lord Elgin has one of the teams from the ice carvers competition create for us a beautiful ice bench. Check out our ice bench from previous years, most, if not all, carved by the award-winning team Sakha from Russia! Take your photo on our bench and post to Twitter or Instagram and include the hashtag #MyLordElgin to be eligible to win a Romantic Getaway at the Lord Elgin Hotel!!
Steps away you can also enjoy the best shopping Ottawa has to offer – the Rideau Centre, just one block from the hotel and the Byward Market, which is full of boutiques and specialty stores to find that unique item. Dine in the hotel, or try one of the many restaurants and eateries located on or near Elgin Street, or in the Byward Market, in the Glebe or Westboro… all very popular with foodies!
For more information check out the Ottawa Tourism website
Check out what is happening over the coming week….
January in Ottawa is full of fun ways to enjoy the winter! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of some of the great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible.
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they take on the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, January 11 and the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday, January 14 both at the Canadian Tire Centre.
- Skate along to your favourite disco tunes at the Disco DJ Skate Night this Saturday, January 11 at the Arena at TD Place.
- The national museums undergoing annual closure this week will reopen on Saturday, January 11. Check out the great special exhibitions on the Ottawa Tourism website including the final weekend of Highland Warriors at the Canadian War Museum, Neanderthal at the Canadian Museum of History, and more!
- Cheer on the Ottawa 67’s on Friday, January 10 as they play the Guelph Storm at Dunder Mifflin Night and on Sunday, January 12 as they take on the Owen Sound Attack, both at TD Place!
- Enjoy an evening of snowshoeing under the stars Friday nights until March with the Friends of Gatineau Park! Snowshoe rental is available, and reservations are required.
- Starting Sunday, January 12 enjoy pop hits from every decade at free Pop Casino shows at the Casino du Lac-Leamy until mid-February!
- Check out all the great spots to ski and snowboard around Ottawa-Gatineau region!
- Head to the National Arts Centre for a variety of different offerings! From an 80’s Mix Tape performance from Thursday, January 9 to Saturday, January 11; to the world premiere of Indigenous performance Unikkaaqtuat on Thursday, January 9; to community programming, there’s something for everyone.