We in Eastern Canada go a bit crazy in spring. After months of cold, snow and a shortage of sunlight, there is this pent up craving for sunshine, warmth and more hours of daylight. By now most of us come down with a terrible case of Spring Fever. All you need is one of those sunny days – nearing 15 degrees C and the patios at all the bars and restaurants rush to get the tables out.
You can’t beat this time in Ottawa! We rush to whatever patio opens first, or you may catch us sitting in parks or walking along the street, face up to the sunlight, with a huge smile on. No wonder Canada is considered such a happy place!
Here in Ottawa, there is SOO much to see and do once the snow starts to go and the days get longer.
We love our bikes here in Ottawa and have more trails than you can imagine. Explore our page HERE devoted just to Cycling in and around the Capital!!
Although Gatineau Park has trails open all year round, March and April is spectacular time for hikers, cyclists and trail lovers! The snow still litters the floor, however the sun illuminates the dense forests and the warm rays reflecting off the cold snow make it the perfect time to get back to exploring! The trails continue to be a wonderful spectacle as the weather increases, with many of the beaches opening up in mid May and right through the summer!
Parc Omega offers many different options for families, animal lovers, and those who want to be outside all year round! They offer car tours as well as walking tours which allow you to get into nature and see a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
Visit the Arboretum, located on Ottawa’s experimental farm which is home to Canada’s Agriculture and Food museum! Not only is the area beautiful to walk through but the museum also hosts March Break and Easter events which are fun for the whole family!
Yoga on Parliament Hill will be back for another spring and summer starting May 3rd! Join Lulumon as they present renowned yoga instructors every Wednesday at noon! Just bring your own mat and water, all levels of yogis are welcome for free yoga on the hill!
Poutine Fest is back May 5-8 for another year to celebrate Canada’s favourite food! Join local and national vendors as they serve their own unique takes on the classical Canadian dish. Be sure to see one vendor take the crown for best poutine, all happening at Ottawa City Hall.
Get on the water at Dow’s Lake. Starting mid May, canoe, kayaks and paddle boats are available for rental until the end of the summer.
Camp Fortune is known to Ottawa as ski resort during the winter. However, starting in the spring those giant hills get a makeover and are turned into zip lines and high ropes courses! Leave your skis at home and bring your sneakers for an aerial adventure.
The annual Canadian Tulip Festival will be happening this May 12 -22. The festival marks that April showers are gone and that May flowers are here to stay, with summer looming around the corner. Be sure not to miss the millions of tulips in bloom along with entertainment and fireworks!
Ottawa Marathon (Race Weekend) on May 27th and 28th, which has become one of the largest marathon events in North America, is a weekend dedicated to road running events, there are multiple different events to suite many different running abilities. From 2k to over 40k the event welcomes all to participate or support runners.
If you looking for activities and events happening this weekend look no further, listed below is everything happening this weekend April 20 – April 23
- Explore Ottawa on a double-decker bus – of course stopping at all the major attractions the city has to offer. Grayline’s Hop-On Hop-Off bus service begins this Saturday, April 22!
- The Ottawa Fury FC play their first home game of the year this Saturday, April 22 at TD Place, come out and help cheer them on!
- Bring the family to the Shenkman Arts Centre to watch Fred Penner perform family favourites on Saturday, April 22.
- Come see displays featuring hundreds of orchids! The Ottawa Orchid Show is in town this Saturday, April 22 and Sunday, April 23 with orchid displays, sales, and artwork at the RA Centre.
- Check out ENCOUNT3RS, a series of one-act ballets each with an original orchestral score, tonight through Saturday, April 22 at the National Arts Centre.
- Celebrate Tartan Day by wearing your kilt to Parliament Hill! This Sunday, April 23, enjoy piping, drumming, highland and step dancing and more Scottish fun.
- As part of Canada 150 Ottawa Welcomes the World – Turkey at the Aberdeen Pavilion. Celebrate the contribution Turkeywith a showcase of its food, music, dance and more… and admission is free! Starting on Sunday, April 23.
- Head to the Casino du Lac-Leamy to check out their awesome spring programming, now until the end of April! Win prizes, enjoy musical entertainment, special events, and more!
- Looking for new artwork? Check out the Manotick Art Show and Sale from Friday to Sunday and Art Credo 2017 at St. John’s Church starting Saturday, April 22 daily through to Sunday, May 7 for great artwork.
- Watch the Ottawa Senators continue their race for the Stanley Cup as they play the Boston Bruins this Friday, April 21 at the Canadian Tire Centre! Or, watch their games at one of the great bars or restaurants on Sens Mile (aka Elgin Street)!
For more information on these events and others, see the Ottawa Tourism Events page.