March is Jam Packed with Activities for all Ages!
Staying at the Lord Elgin Hotel is ideal for those wishing to explore Ottawa and all the fabulous things to do in March. There is something for every age level! Book our March Break package now !!
Families can make some great travel plans and keep the kids entertained with some of Ottawa’s March Break activities.
Spring Break Ski Lessons – Learn how to ski from professionals during spring break with their 3, 4, or 5 day lesson options. Your lift ticket is valid for the day with a two-hour lesson.
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
Maple Month – We eat it on pancakes, enjoy it as taffy on snow, cook and bake with it and so much more! Join us at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum for the entire month of March as we tap into one of Canada’s most iconic and versatile sweet treats, maple syrup! Our sweet line-up includes: Cooking with maple in the Museum’s demo kitchen, maple workshop with celebrity chef Lynn Crawford, maple traditions and stories, lumberjack demonstration, plaid day, pancakes and maple syrup, maple taffy on snow.
Canadian Museum of History
Playing Through History – Discover traditional First Peoples games such as ring-and-pin, string games, lahal, and hand-shadow puppets. Try skittles, and see how the game has changed from the version popular in New France. Help decorate a large, Victorian-style dollhouse, make your own doll to take home, and try colonial toys such as a Jacob’s ladder, jacks, and spin-tops. Visit the Discovery Zone for a selection of innovative new games, Mega Bloks® building projects, play workshops, and more. The Canadian Children’s Museum is offering additional play-themed activities during March Break.
Canadian Museum of Nature
Reptiles – Some are colourful, some bizarre, and some are downright dangerous. But they’re all extraordinary. Experience the mystery and wonder of LIVE lizards, snakes, turtles and alligators from around the world.
Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum
Spy Camp – Enjoy a spy-themed day camp where you can learn the art of espionage from disguising for cover, to breaking codes, using spy gadgets and more! Each day will cover a new skill. This experience is designed for children aged seven to 12.
Maple Syrup Fun
Maple activities – Make maple taffy in the snow, go on a horse drawn sleigh ride and enjoy a pancake breakfast with delicious maple syrup! Several local sugar bushes will have activities going on during the 2017 maple season, which runs from late February to early April.
Funhaven Family Fun Centre
Located just minutes west of Ottawa’s downtown core, Funhaven offers a world-class laser tag arena, the latest high-tech mini-bowling lanes, an arcade and prize games, simulators, bumper cars and a huge jungle gym. The little ones are sure to be entertained during March Break!
Haunted Walk of Ottawa
Jail Tours – Families can take a spooky guided tour through Ottawa, which is a unique way to see the city. Tour the Old Carleton County Jail and learn about why Ottawa was once considered ‘the most dangerous town in North America’. Learn about early prison life, as you see the jail cells, death row and the last working gallows in Canada.
National Gallery of Canada
Artissimo – This weekend series of hands-on workshops has kids making their own creative artworks in the museum.
Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo
Come by to see our feeding and hands-on shows so you can experience the adventure today! Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo is open year long with new exhibits and new animals to see every 6 months!
If you want to get up close to real, living Canadian wildlife, there’s no better place to go than Parc Oméga. Located in Montebello, Que. – just a 45-minute drive east of Ottawa’s downtown core – Parc Oméga offers about 2,200 acres of natural habitat for Canadian animals such as deer, elk, bison, caribou, wolves and more.
Royal Canadian Mint
Learn how coins are made at the Royal Canadian Mint by joining an interactive guided tour with one of the friendly tour guides.
This weekend in Ottawa: March 24 – 26
- Visit the Ecology and Urban Agriculture Pavilion Hosted at the Moore Farm – the newest of the National Capital Commission’s Confederation Pavilions and learn about ecology nor through September!
- Have one last skate of the season- skate on the grounds of historic Rideau Hall, home and workplace of the Governor General, until Sunday, March 26.
- Today through Sunday, March 26, head to the EY Centre to find out what’s hot in home renovation, decoration, landscaping, and outdoor living at the Ottawa Home & Garden Show.
- Through Friday, March 31, check out great films from around the world shown in Gatineau theatres at the 19th annual Outaouais Film Festival.
- On Saturday, March 25, turn off your lights from 8:30pm to 9:30pm to take part in the global Earth Hour event, as a symbolic statement on the need to take action on climate change.
- Celebrate Earth hour this Saturday, March 25 with us at Grill 41 in partnership with Mill St. Brewery for a lights out acoustic music set during earth hour.
- Dance the night away at Ottawa Swingfest this Saturday, March 25 at the Canadian War Museum! Enjoy a 1940s-inspired night of dancing to live music, including dance instructors to help beginners!
- Check out the high-speed excitement of the Canada East Short Track Speed Skating Championships, this Saturday, March 25 and Sunday, March 26 at the Bob MacQuarrie Sports Complex!
- On Sunday, March 26, head to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum for the Timeless Classics concert, as part of their Music at the Museum series! Learn about the legacy of the Canadarm, the International Space Station, and much more while at the museum.
- Shop for vintage finds this Sunday, March 26 at the Ottawa Vintage Clothing Show, held at the Carleton University Fieldhouse.
- Listen to Canadian legend Tom Cochrane perform at the National Arts Centre, this Sunday, March 26.
- Finally, don’t miss a week full of JUNO Awards celebrations across Ottawa – although the awards show is on Sunday, April 2, don’t miss the great activities happening throughout the region this upcoming week!