The Lord Elgin Hotel is the ideal spot to escape to Ottawa, Canada’s Capital City, and celebrate the holiday season. Located in the heart of the downtown of Ottawa, you cannot imagine a better location to enjoy the colors and excitement of the festive season.
From December 7, 2017 to January 7th, 2018, the Christmas Lights across Canada program is turned on, illuminating Elgin Street and Confederation Park, as well as Wellington and Parliament Hill. The hotel is surrounded with twinkling lights and you cannot help but feel festive..
To mark the finale of Canada’s 150th, a special rink is being placed on Parliament Hill open to the public skating on most days. The Canada 150 rink will provide Canadians and visitors the opportunity to not only skate in the shadow of Parliament Hill’s iconic Peace Tower but it will also play host to a variety of special events and ice sports to highlight Canadians’ fondness of winter outdoor activities. For more information on how Ottawa is wrapping up the big 150th, check out the upcoming events here.
If you want to do some serious Christmas shopping, you are in the right spot. The Rideau Centre is only one block from the hotel with over 180 of the biggest names in fashion beauty, and many new exciting newcomers to the mall. Just a few blocks away is the Byward Market. Created by John By in 1826, the Byward Market is one of Canada’s oldest and largest public markets. A favourite spot for visitors and locals, in this four block radius you will find museums, cafes, boutiques, specialty food shops, night clubs, restaurants, pubs, galleries, hair and aesthetics salons and spas and more.
Grill 41 Restaurant in the Lord Elgin offers their special holiday menu starting December 1st. For Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, they feature an amazing menu and are booking up quickly. Now very popular is Christmas Dinner to go – turkey and all the fixings all prepared by our wonderful chefs. Check out our menus at Grill 41’s website here or call at 613-569-2126.
New Years Eve in Ottawa this year will be a amazing event as we ring in 2018! Again, Grill 41 is offering a fabulous menu, along with entertainment by Roddy Ellias and and the very well known Kellylee Evans. Then head up to Parliament Hill to finish off the evening. For more information on what is going on in Ottawa for New Year’s Eve, check out Ottawa Tourism’s list.
Holiday Rates & Deals
The Lord Elgin has a variety of packages and special rates for the holidays, such as our Book Direct (10% off) Cars Stay Free Package or our very popular Stay and Save Rate that offer up to 30% off your stay. We are also offering a Christmas Stay Package including breakfast and dinner and a welcome gift from Santa. There are limited seats available for Christmas dinner, so this package may sell out early. For this one you will have to call the hotel directly at 1-8000-267-4298 or email us at email@example.com to book. Check out our Specials and Packages page for more information and to book your next stay.
There are a number of fabulous shows & concerts taking place in Ottawa this season.
- A Christmas Carole – Dec 5-24 – National Arts Centre
- Crystal Shawanda – Christmas with Crystal – Dec 21 – National Arts Centre
- Handel’s Messiah – Dec 22 – National Arts Centre
Ottawa is filled with fun holiday activities! In an effort to assist your front-line staff with suggestions for guests/visitors, below is a list of great things to do in and around Ottawa this weekend. Please share with as many staff as possible. Please note that Ottawa Tourism’s offices are CLOSED December 25 to January 1, re-opening on January 2, 2018. Happy Holidays!
- Visit the Canadian Museum of Nature for the final Nature Nocturne of the year on Friday, December 29 at the Frost themed event!
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators as they play back-to-back games at the Canadian Tire Centre, facing the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday, December 29 and the Boston Bruins on Saturday, December 30!
- On Sunday, December 31 celebrate New Year’s Eve at any one of a number of fun events across the city, including: the 6th annual Hogman-eh! party at Lansdowne, the Light the Lantern celebration at the National Arts Centre, 1920’s themed A Great Gatsby Affair at the Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, the first ever Brewmaster’s Dinner at CRAFT Beer Market, the Ottawa New Year’s Eve Charity Ball at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre, celebrate dance from coast to coast to coast at Nimidiwin at the Canadian Museum of History, fun celebrations at the Casino du Lac Leamy, check out the Timeless NYE event at the Infinity Convention Centre, celebrate 2017 with a Salute to 2017 at Ottawa City Hall, enjoy a New Year’s Eve Dinner at the Brookstreet Hotel, and many more!
- On Parliament Hill, the Canada 150 closing activities continue for New Year’s Eve with DJ sets from Canadian favourites like DJ Rise Ashen and Kardinal Offishall, free Tim Hortons hockey and hot chocolate, hockey on the hill, hand drum lessons, and more activation. At night, enjoy the Canada 150 Closing Party on the Hill with DJs and a pyrotechnic and laser show at midnight! FREE!
- Youth hockey teams compete in the Bell Capital Cup tournament at rinks around Ottawa from Wednesday, December 27 to Sunday, December 31!
- Check out Canada 150 Hockey on the Hill, where 32 boys and girls teams, winning trips to Ottawa from every province and territory in the country, play on the Canada 150 Rink on Parliament Hill from Thursday, December 28 to Sunday, December 31. FREE to watch!